Turkey win shoot out – slot resmi

Turkey will face Germany in the semi-finals after beating slot resmi in a penalty shoot-out after the match had ended 1-1 after extra-time.
The Croats had taken the lead in the last minute of extra-time only for Turkey to grab an equaliser with the last kick of the match.
In the shoot-out Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic both fired wide before Rustu Recber saved Malden Petric’s penalty.
Turkey had started brightly and, in the fifth minute, Hamit Altintop had the first shot of the game only for it to whistle past Stipe Pletikosa’s goal.
The Croatia wall then did its job as Niko Kovac blocked Hamit Aitintop’s 14th-minute free-kick.
The Croats had started very sluggishly but they should have taken a 19th-minute lead when Modric burst down the left wing and crossed for Ivica Olic.
The striker seemed certain to score but incredibly his shot hit the bar and bounced back into play where it was lashed into the stands by Niko Kranjcar.
The near miss lifted Croatia though as they dominated the rest of the first half, although six minutes before the break a blistering long-range shot by Mehmet Topal beat Pletikosa only to fly narrowly wide.
After the interval, Turkey appeared to shut up shop and play for penalties while Croatia were left to try to break them down.
They almost did so in the 51st minute when Olic had another great chance but he failed to beat Rustu with the bounce of the ball appearing to deceive the Croatia man.
Croatia found it hard to break down Turkey’s massed defence but in the 71st minute they should have scored when Rakitic played a sweet one-two with Olic only to then contrive to lift his shot way over the bar.
Rakitic’s cross then found Olic whose header was only just wide with Rustu scrambling unconvincingly across his goal and, with six minutes of normal time left, Darijo Srna’s free-kick beat the wall only for Rustu to make a superb diving save.
Rustu saved Turkey again in stoppage time when he denied Olic after a superb Modric cross and then held on to Srna’s swerving free-kick at the second attempt.
Turkey dominated extra-time though with Tuncay and Senturk Semih both going close as Croatia tired but, with 60 seconds left Slaven Bilic’s side appeared to have won the game.
Rustu raced out of his goal and Modric calmly turned the ball into the danger area where Ivan Klasnic was on hand to head into the empty net.
But with the last kick of the match Semih lashed a shot home to force the penalty shoot-out.

Posts Tagged with…